Impact Colostrum is a colostrum supplement to aid the immune function of newborn mammals and marsupial joeys. Impact Colostrum Supplement is made mainly from powdered bovine colostrum, but also contains added lactalbumin, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. Available in 25g, 100g, 250g and 500g resealable plastic jars.
- Contains colostrum powder, a rich source of immunoglobulin which may assist with immunity
- Added lactoferrin & lactoperoxidase which may provide antibacterial activity and intestinal protection
- Contains mannan oligosaccharides (MOS) which may assist the growth of beneficial gut flora
- Feed to newborn mammals in the first 48 hours, but marsupials until weaning
Colostrum is the first milk produced after birth, and is high in protein, much of which is immunoglobulin. Immunoglobulins grants immunity against pathogenic micro-organisms such as bacteria and viruses. Because animals are born without immunity, they initially acquire their immunity via immunoglobulins in colostrum. Newborns that don’t receive colostrum, therefore, have an increased risk of infection. Furthermore, colostrum also contains other proteins with antibacterial activity such as Lactoferrin, Lactoperoxidase and Lysozyme. These inhibit the colonisation of pathogenic micro-organisms in the intestine.
Since Colostrum is only produced for a short time after birth, the composition of the bitch’s mammary secretion changes from colostrum to normal milk within 48hrs. Afterwards, channels that initially allow for direct absorption of antibodies in the newborn also close up during this time. Consequently, after 48hrs newborns are no longer able to absorb antibodies via their gut.
Directions for mammals (not marsupials and monotremes):
- Impact should be fed as soon as possible after birth, and preferably before milk is fed. Impact is absorbed for up to 48 hours after birth, depending on the species.
- Don’t mix Impact with milk formula.
- Weigh the animal and select the appropriate weight range from the enclosed chart.
- Mix the amounts of Impact powder and warm pre-boiled water to make the daily Impact requirement.
- Refrigerate the prepared Impact for one day, or alternatively, store frozen in ice cube trays, for instance, for up to 1 month.
- First 12 hours
- Prepare a daily dose of Impact and feed 1/4 of the amount every 2 hours. Do not feed milk formula during this time, as this can affect the ability to absorb the antibodies from the intestine.
- 12- 36 hours
- Commence feeding milk formula every 4 hours. Prepare a daily dose of Impact and feed 1/4 of the amount, midway between milk feeds. Do not mix or feed Impact with milk formula.
- 48 hours +
- After two days, stop feeding Impact, and go solely onto milk formula right through until weaning.
Directions for Marsupials:
Because Marsupials are different in that they do not produce colostrum, Impact is added to marsupial milk. Since intestinal closure occurs later in marsupials, and immunoglobulins are present in milk for much of lactation.
- Mix and feed Impact with milk for marsupials.
- For very early lactation to mid-lactation:
- Select the appropriate amount of Impact powder for body weight from the chart.
- Mix the powder into the required daily volume of milk and feed as usual.
- Repeat this procedure for up to 5 days.
- For late lactation:
- Select the appropriate amount of Impact for body weight from the chart and add this to the normal daily feed volume of milk.
- Repeat as required.
In addition, you can download the Impact Colostrum Fact Sheet and Instructions here.